Chef Martin Lopez

As seen in Main Street Magazine, May 2010 Archived issue
Copyright, Rain Enterprises/Main Street Magazine



This month’s Chef of Merit takes us to Saint Louis, Missouri USA, where we visit Chef Martin U Lopez

Chef Lopez was born in Mexico City by a hardworking dedicated Mother and the versatility of ingredients was shown to Martin at about seven years old. It started as part of the kitchen household responsibilities and showing his passion for cooking grew as he endured different tasks assigned to him and his three brothers and three sisters. With Mexican European traditions, needless to say there was a lot of cooking involved. Chef Martin’s love with the art of cooking started with his roots at this very young age.

Let’s take a walk with Chef Martin Lopez……….

MSM: Please introduce yourself to our readers in a few lines.
ML: I am humbled and honored to be asked to be in your magazine, my name is Martin Lopez, Chef Martin.
I’ve been an Executive Chef for twenty one years, I set my goal in 2009 to launch my website as I know many people and I share the same feelings and passion about cooking.
     In my younger years growing up as professional chef, I often wished I had someone I could talk to. Be inspired by, to be a stronger caliber chef, so I created ChefMartin.Net to allow groups, chefs, foodies and the community to showcase functions. At the same time guests and people wanting to do something for the night can find out about upcoming fundraising dinners, socials events and any other food related culinary proceedings, while giving the opportunity to professionals in our industry to get involved and share pictures of these events with all the people from around the world



MSM: What and who inspired you to follow the culinary trail?
ML: Farmer’s markets and all the fresh ingredients, growing up a refrigerator was a luxury so people had to go to the markets everyday to buy the food and ingredients for their meals. I used to visit them with my mother, she is also my inspiration and my main teacher, along with the rest of my family.

MSM: On your road to becoming an Exec Chef what was your greatest experience?
ML: Meeting people!
I am blessed, this is an ongoing process and an experience that never ends, and I look forward to it every day. I read a lot in people’s body language after they eat my food and my goal is to make them smile and for them to have a good time. I love to see smiles on people faces when I present my food and after they eat it.

MSM: When you are on your own time what is your favorite food to eat?
ML: Many people ask me that. “Smile” People think that just because I am a professional Chef I eat gourmet meals every night at home, the reality is that I love very comforting meals. Country American Cooking and very simple ingredients, I love corn of any shape!

MSM: Everyone has a favorite snack food---what is yours?
ML: I love fruits with lime and a shake of salt, and of course then the never ending selection of hard candy and good quality milk chocolate.

MSM: In today's gastronomic world new cooking methods are developing regularly. Is there something that you are a disciple of?
ML: “The Five Mother Sauces” I am a true believer of kitchen discipline and cooking traditions and techniques. I come from the old school and believe sauces play an important part of all cuisine. Sauces originally came about to mask the unpleasantness of food back when refrigeration was nonexistent. Today sauces have a much more "happy" place on our plate. A sauce is liquid or sometimes semi-solid food served on or used in preparing other foods. Sauces are not to be consumed alone, they are accompaniments to dishes. Sauces add flavor to dishes, add moisture to drier foods, and they add nutrients. The number of sauces in the world are endless. As long as chefs continue create amazing dishes, amazing sauces will be born. Although there is an endless array of sauces, there are only five "Mother" sauces. Of these five sauces, any sauce can be created with a few modifications.


MSM: What is your favorite part of being a Chef?
ML: The creation of food, I believe that cooking is a celebration and art, I get my ingredients and I feel the textures, smell the aromas then the utensils become my tools, the pots and pans become my palette and the plates are my canvas

MSM: Which type of car would best describe your style of cooking?
ML: Porsche 911 GT3- Clean cut and clean lines – safe with a lot of power “Smile”


MSM: Stuck on a desert Island for a month - list 10 items that you would have to have?
ML: Sugar, matches, tooth brush, eye drops, sun screen lotion, finger nail clipper, chef’s knife, pillow, blanket, and the most important a picture of my Mother.



MSM: Describe yourself 10 years from now?
ML: Wow! So much I wish I can accomplish, I try not to think too much on the future. I set my mind every day to meet my goals that I know will lead me to my trajectory and direction to my life time achievements. I work hard every day and pray I can reach them someday, I would like to have my books published by then.

MSM: What last thoughts do you want to leave us with?
ML: First and fore most, I would like to thank Main Street Magazine for allowing me to get to the readers, and thank you Tilly for this great interview.
     Good food comes with great ingredients, but the best and most important ingredient of all is love.


Want to know what the ‘Mother’ sauces are? Drop Chef Martin a line…visit www.chefmartin.net

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fresh Sweet Corn Tamalito
A Chef Martin Lopez Recipe
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These fresh corn tamalitos are perfect to serve with any meal or just have them around to snack on!

Ingredients:

5 tablespoons margarine, softened
1/4 cup Masa Harina – “Masa flour can be purchased in any Mexican section in your grocery store”.
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen, thawed, divided
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons plus 1-teaspoon milk
Corn husk to form the tamales - If you use fresh corn, wash and use the fresh corn husk, this will add more flavor to your tamales.

Instructions:

Using an electric mixer, blend the sugar, margarine, and masa until light and fluffy.
In a blender, puree half the corn kernels with the water until smooth, “like making a corn shake” Combine this mixture with the margarine mixture, stirring well. Add the remaining corn kernels, corn meal, baking powder, salt and milk and mix well.
Place the corn mixture into soaked cornhusks to form the tamales or place it into a cake pan. Place it in steamer for 20 in on high, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Tamalito should have a smooth, moist texture. – Makes 8 tamalitos