Featuring Chef Alain Irvine



Friday August 1 2008. Interview with Chef Alain Irvine

Born in Scotland, Irvine apprenticed at the Chewten Glen Hotel, the three-time recipient of the Best Small Hotel In The World Award and at the Royal Bath Hotel, both situated in Northern England. In 1976, his passion for travel and food brought him to Canada where he took up the Sous Chef position at the renowned Jasper Park Lodge in Alberta. After completing his first Executive Chef position with Delta Hotels (Toronto/Ottawa) in 1981, Alain further expanded his knowledge of international cuisine by accepting chef positions in Jamaica (Wyndham Rose Hall) and Bermuda (Elbow Beach Resort).

Returning to Canada in 1989, Alain accepted the position of Restaurant Chef at Truffles, the exclusive restaurant at the Four Seasons Toronto in Yorkville. In 1990, he transferred with Four Seasons to their resort property, Minaki Lodge, in Northern Ontario. In the spring of 2004, Alain joined the Taboo team from the Rimrock Resort in Banff National Park to become the Executive Chef. Since Taboo Alain has opened his own restaurant, North Restaurant and Lounge as well as a Retail, Wholesale and Catering company with his wife and sons, Irvine & Sons Fine Foods. Alain’s passion for food and his love of cooking have given his business discerning clientele, a dining experience that truly embodies the best of Canadian and international cuisine.

Featuring Chef Alain Irvine


Tilly Rivers

August 1 2008

Recently, I had the pleasure to interview Chef Alain Irvine. Chef Alain is an internationally renowned Chef. His career boasts of awards such as first place at the Canadian International Association of Conference Centers (IACC) “Copper Skillet” competition. Chef Irvine, at an almost unheard of age, became an Executive Chef at 28- and has won the hearts of diners and foodies across the globe and Canada.

Now calling Muskoka home, Chef Alain Irvine opened his own restaurant “North” located in Gravenhurst Ontario. What follows is that interview.

Why did you become a chef?
I did not set out to be a chef. My family comes from tradesman, construction workers and electricians. One day while picking up my friend who was apprenticing- the Chef said, “And what about you? Do you want to be a chef?” I thought my destiny was to work as my family always had- but instead—it had a plan of its own.”

Becoming a chef than was a twist of faith, but what kept you as a chef?
I discovered that I loved what I did, what I do. The lessons I learned as an apprentice, the importance of tradition, quality and creativity- no short cuts- I carry to this day.”

Did growing up in Scotland influence your cooking style?
No- I left Scotland when I was six.”

What would you say are the traits in which a chef needs, besides cooking of course, to succeed?
You have to love what you do. At times bad management can create a smothering environment to a chef, they do not always understand the creative process, a Chef will need to pull from the strength of their passion, that first love.”

Are your friends and family intimated to have you over for dinner? I know I would be.
Yes, for the most part they are- but when I have the opportunity to relax and eat a meal that has been cooked for me- I do not go to critique.”

Never? There has to be a part of you that says, “I would have done this differently?”
If I am going for a meal with close friends or family- I do not have a set expectation. If however I am eating at a restaurant that has great reviews, and is the elite- yes- I have high standards and will critique the meal.”

What advice would you have for those that find the kitchen an intimating place?
Call Me. I would be happy to walk them through a question during non-service hours.”

I am not sure, but I think at this point my jaw dropped. “You are kidding right?” I have had many answers to that question, but never has a chef of Alain Irvine’s caliber said he would take the time for a perfect stranger over the phone to help them with a recipe!
As long as I am not busy during peek hours, I would be happy to help. Food is my passion, and I would love to show that it does not have to be intimating.”

Conclusion: At this point, I was literally blown away- and can not tell you how over-the-top impressed I was. Not just with the food, the restaurant, but the Chef. Alain Irvine- you truly are the best-of the best, and truly one of Canada’s Best Chefs. I was so impressed in fact, that I plan on writing more- the time spent with Chef Alain Irvine was a delight.

Until then if you are searching for one of the best dining experiences, visit North Restaurant in Gravenhurst- you will not be disappointed!